Detall ESD Workbench Features And Advantages
Detall ESD Workbench Features And Advantages
Here is a summary or overview about the basics of an ESD workbench and how an ESD work bench is constructed and used.
The ESD protection is most important in electronic industry for electronics production, repairing, testing, and any work related with electronics.
What is ESD and Its damage for electronics?
Mainly, the ESD protection solution guides the static electricity to the earth ground with a safety way.
Workbench is widely used in the electronics industry because it is the most frequently used equipment in electronics assemblies. That’s why the static electricity guiding of the workbench is the one of the key elements for any ESD protected area that can be provided by the ESD workbench.
Why we shouldn’t use a conductive workbench to guide the static electricity to earth?
Conductive surface is originally used as an ESD work surface like stainless steel. This is not a right concept. These are far from ideal because of the following viewpoints.
- The conductive surface will short out any connections making operation and testing of the circuit impracticable.
- The conductive surface will provide a low impedance discharge path that will give a very rapid discharge, resulting in high currents flowing and possible damage to the circuitry.
- A further reason for having a high resistance dissipative surface rather than a fully conductive surface is that of safety. If high voltage is present in a system, then accidentally touching a conductive work surface and a high voltage source can be dangerous. Accordingly, safety precautions necessitate that a high resistance dissipative surface is used.
In order to provide the correct environment for an ESD workstation, an ESD workbench should have a static dissipative surface.
Static dissipative surface
Typically, an ESD protective work surface should have a resistance value between the 1.0 x 109 and 1.0 x 106 ohms. This is for two reasons, firstly for preventing a rapid discharge of any static that may cause damage, and secondly for safety reasons as mentioned above.
The key to an operation of the ESD work bench is the surface of the bench.
What is the work surface of Detall ESD workbench?
As static can build up anywhere on a work bench, it is essential that all working surface of the bench must be static dissipative. Either electronics assemblies, or tools may be placed here the shelves need to be part of the ESD protected area. Also, if tools are placed on a non-ESD dissipative surface, attract static, and used to work on an electronics assembly, then the chances of damage will rise.
The top of the table is most frequently used working surface on a workbench. And most of ESD workbench will use with the soldering works, then it requests the worktops not only the static dissipative but also the fireproof. Detall ESD Workbench table top uses the best ESD laminating from Wilson art in which the resistance value is 1.0 x 106 <1.0 x 109 ohms and fireproof at the same time.
Other working surface:
The ESD workbench is consists of a number of different elements shown below:
* Shelves: Shelves are usually use for placing and other electronics spare parts for electronics assembly, repair and inspection. Detall ESD shelves has two kinds of the materials. First is known as the metal shelves and the second is named as the material just like the table top – ESD laminating.
* Metalwork: While the metalwork itself is conductive, the paint used is not normally conductive. For an ESD workbench, it is necessary to utilize static dissipative painting to prevent any sudden discharges. Moreover, the painting must be strong adhesion and durable because this painting is the core elements for a ESD workbench, the most valuable things should be used very long time for high cost performance. Detall use the special durable ESD powder painting that is anti-scratch with the ideal resistance of 1.0 x 106 <1.0 x 109 ohms.
Why an ESD rubber mat on a normal workbench shouldn’t use?
Some user said “A ESD Workbench can be created by placing an ESD rubber mat on the normal tables and connected with a wire to the ground”.
Seriously, it is not enough to have an ESD mat on worktop, why?
1st. By placing an ESD mat on tabletop and a wire connecting, the static discharge will get only one way to the ground that is through the connecting wire, the static will fail to discharge to ground if any problem occurs in this wire.
2nd, The static can be produced anywhere in the environment, on the tools and work bench, In electronics production, repairing and assembly, chips, tools and test equipment may be placed on other parts of workbench, the static may be accumulate here. And when we put the chips on workbench parts, process the electronics with tools, the static damage will happen.
3rd, ESD mat usually made by rubber or PVC, poor wear resistant, easy to age and short using life. In soldering working, the high temperature tin slag and welding gun can damage the rubber and PVC material mat.
Characteristics of Detall ESD workbench:
- Durable Material: Strong cold steel with the anti-scratch ESD powder coating. ESD laminating worktop (fire proof)
- Ergonomic design: comfortable and beauty, can improve the production efficiency
- Modular design: various accessories are changeable for combination
- Standard design, accessories are exchangeable, higher cost performance for changing damaged parts.
- Permanent ESD property: ESD Laminate top and ESD powder coating are permanently valid.
Use an appropriate ESD workbench is the demand of the day and there should be no compromise in this reference. For this intention, the services of Detall ESD workbench is outstanding as they are up to the mark that meet the modern world demands and available in reasonable and thus affordable price.